Cat asleep on Computer

Cat asleep on Computer
A good place to rest my head

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Remembering Arthur

Reflective Teaching Moments

Number 1 – Remembering Arthur

I once had a learner who was 92 years old. His name was Arthur. In his younger years, him and his wife entertained troupes across Europe during the Great War. He was a professional magician and his lovely wife was his beautiful assistant.

The course I taught at the time was “Using IT for Family History Research”; and Arthur was just completing his first year. He was a special student; full of life and a wicked sense of humour.  All the learners in the class enjoyed Arthur.

Because of the subject matter of family history, I got to know my learners pretty well; and I knew a lot about Arthur and his extended family. His wife and passed away a few years prior to him coming to my class, and this time of his life, Arthur was alone – there wasn’t anyone else to keep him company.

So when Arthur got sick and was sent to hospital, I made a special effort to go and visit him. I saw him every day throughout the week he was there.  He seemed to enjoy the visits and actually said he looked forward to seeing me.

On a Friday visit, Arthur said to me that he won’t be joining me in September to continue our class; he would be meeting all his ancestors. Then he said, “I know them because of you; thank you for helping me find them.”  By Sunday, he was no longer in the hospital by himself, he was with his ancestors as he said he would be. We all missed Arthur and I will never forget his kind words and how much that meant to me.

Every once in a while teachers get blessed with a little,
humbling moment that reminds us of why we wanted to be a teacher.  I felt that, and I am so very grateful for all that my learners continue to teach me.

Goodnight, Arthur, and I hope you and your wife are on stage entertaining all those ancestors with a bit of magic.  



 Have you had a special student that has touched your heart?  Or a special teaching moment that you will never forget? 
I would love to hear your stories. 
Leave a comment...I hope to hear from you soon. 

2 comments:

  1. That's so nice of you to go visit him, your such a great person and teacher, I still remember and loved your lessons. I bet he really appreciated your visits. What a lovely memory. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so nice of you to go visit him, your such a great person and teacher, I still remember and loved your lessons. I bet he really appreciated your visits. What a lovely memory. Marie x

    ReplyDelete